Re: How to compile sawfish (with makepp)?

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 08:23 +0100, Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
> Well either the consumers include statements must not start with rep/ or
> librep must advertise
>
> includedir=${prefix}/include
>
> I patched the pc file that way, reconfigured and makepp compiled
> rep-gtk-0.90.4 out of the box :-)

Glad to hear it. sawfish also uses <rep/rep.h>, so if you took the other
route, you would need to modify even more. It looks a bit silly in
the .pc.in file already:
  includedir= includedir@/rep/
includedir is not @includedir@ ? It should be.

> So now I have two pc files installed.  Neither of them advertises
> /opt/sawfish/bin.  But that is where repdoc is, and sawfish needs it to
> build.  So I extend PATH to get over that.

Sorry for not mentioning that, but that's pretty much always required if
you use anything that calls other binaries, and those other binaries are
in a non-standard location; even if a pkgconfig file is provided.
Depending on how exactly you are compiling, you may similarly also need
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /opt/sawfish/lib.

The KDE4 problem has already been answered: that, unfortunately, simply
cannot work with an install in a non-standard location, so is best
disabled.

Cheers,
Harald