Re: How to compile sawfish (with makepp)?

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 21:55 +0100, Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
> I am trying to get the sawfish suite to compile with makepp, but I am
> failing because of various problems.

I can tell you something about some of them, but not all.

> Your libtool itself has a magic number pointing to bash, necessary
> because it uses the += operator not understood by other shells.  Yet
> you contradict that with (only works if your sh is a bash):
>
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> LIBTOOL=$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool
> rep_LIBTOOL=$(SHELL) $(top_builddir)/libtool

This happens if configure is executed by bash, and /bin/sh is not bash.
If configure is executed by (for example) dash, a dash-compatible
libtool script will be written.

That said, you're probably right, the $(SHELL) should be removed in
LIBTOOL and rep_LIBTOOL, but it was added by libtool.m4 (part of libtool
itself), not anything in librep, so needs to be fixed there.

> The next problem is that install in lisp, man & src depends on
> mkinstalldirs.  While gmake manages to build it, I don't see how.

The Makefiles in the subdirectories use VPATH so that mkinstalldirs in
the librep root is used. makepp doesn't understand VPATH.

> REP-GTK 0.90.4
>
> I don't know where to start, or rather how to tell it where I put
> librep.  I tried (I want all sawfish stuff in the same dir):
>
> configure --prefix=/opt/sawfish LIBREP_CFLAGS=-I/opt/sawfish/include
> LIBREP_LIBS=-L/opt/sawfish/lib
>
> which works, but in the top makefile I get an impossible
>
> repexecdir=
> include $(repexecdir)/rules.mk

Instead of setting LIBREP_CFLAGS and LIBREP_LIBS, set PKG_CONFIG_PATH
to /path/to/your/sawfish/dir/lib/pkgconfig. When librep installs its .pc
file there, it will be picked up from rep-gtk's configure script.

Cheers,
Harald