Re: How to compile sawfish (with makepp)?

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 23:18 +0100, Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:
> la 12/20/2010 12:42 AM Harald van Dijk skribis:
> > This happens if configure is executed by bash, and /bin/sh is not bash.
> > If configure is executed by (for example) dash, a dash-compatible
> > libtool script will be written.
>
> Aha, but I called only configure using whatever shell that wants.

Right. Normally, that would be /bin/sh, except autoconf-based configure
scripts will, when called from a shell lacking certain features,
re-execute themselves using bash or some other shell.

In practise, if /bin/sh points to a version of dash that lacks LINENO
support, and bash is available, configure will restart using bash. This
is generally desirable behaviour.

> > That said, you're probably right, the $(SHELL) should be removed in
> > LIBTOOL and rep_LIBTOOL, but it was added by libtool.m4 (part of libtool
> > itself), not anything in librep, so needs to be fixed there.
>
> I've built other autoconf projects, but maybe they don't use this one.  I'll
> try to write a bug report...

Thanks. Older versions of libtool.m4 wrote the configure interpreter
path into the Makefile, so you will only see this problem with packages
that recently updated their libtool.m4.

> > Instead of setting LIBREP_CFLAGS and LIBREP_LIBS, set PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> > to /path/to/your/sawfish/dir/lib/pkgconfig. When librep installs its .pc
> > file there, it will be picked up from rep-gtk's configure script.
>
> That's better, but not perfect.  It gives these compiler options
>
> -I/opt/sawfish/include/rep// -I/opt/sawfish/lib/rep/i686-pc-linux-gnu/
>
> which lead to many errors all like:
>
> rep-gtk.h:28: fatal error: rep/rep.h: No such file or directory

Huh. You're right. I believe it is actually supposed to work like that
already, but since it doesn't, you may also add -I/opt/sawfish/include
to your CFLAGS. I've tested this locally, after renaming
my /usr/include/rep/rep.h, and the build and install completes
successfully.

Cheers,
Harald