Re: Compilation Issue

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 06:28:28AM +0900, Andrew A. Adams wrote:
>
> > However, I'm still not getting window control for my username,
> > though it is working for the temp username I set up.
> > I suspect Mihai was right and there:s a problem with my
> > gnome config that:s interfering with sawfish running properly.
Mihai Lazarescu replied:
> FWIW, whenever I had trouble with Gnome config after upgrades
> (never with sawfish, usually with Gnome panels) I removed
> (well, saved out of the way) .gnome2, .gnome2_private, .gconf,
> .gconfd, then reconfigured the panels and whatever few Gnome
> customizations I had.  It was always *way* faster than to
> chase what's wrong in there.
>
> To do that logout, switch to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F2,
> for instance), login as your normal user, kill gconfd-2 and
> only after that move/remove the above directories.  Then logout
> from the virtual console and return to the graphical session
> (Alt-F1), login as usual and redo your customizations.
>
> Not exactly a savvy power user advice, but I hope it helps. :-)

OK, after a bit of messing around with gconf stuff I found what the problem
is. I recently added an external wireless keyboard and since I'm in Japan
this was a Japanese layout. When I use the keyboard preferences tool layouts
tab, window control goes away whenever I have any keyboard other than the
default USA one selected. Somehow the keyboard selection appears to be
interfering with sawfish's interpretation of mouse button clicks on the
window borders.

If I select "different layout for each window" then only the windows with a
nondefault keyboard selected lose control.

Thanks for all your help guys. While annoying, I'll just have to keep
switching back to the default keyboard layout whenever I want to move windows.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa meiji ac jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and