Re: Removing old cruft

Am Samstag, den 26.09.2009, 15:11 -0600 schrieb Michal Jaegermann:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 01:47:08PM -0700, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> > > So with removing libgnome/libgnomeui/libgnomecanvas/libglade from
> > > rep-gtk and sawfish a whole bunch of old gnome-cruft has been removed.
> > >
> > > The removal of those outdated, don't-use-them-anymore gnome-libraries is
> > > called Project Ridley. Actually sawfish still uses two of those
> > > libraries: esound and libaudiofile.
> > >
> > > So: what should we use instead? Raw Alsa, PulseAudio, x?
> >
> > AFAIK Pulse Audio is the de facto standard these days, so I'd go with that.
>
> This is that kind of a "standard" which is not that usable on Fedora
> 10, you can hack your way around - maybe - on Fedora 11, it will
> _possibly_ start to get in a reasonable shape in an upcoming Fedora 12
> and I do not think that it is avaiable for RHEL4/CentOS4.

I'm using 0.9.16 in Debian SID, except that it doesn't remember the
volume after reboot, it's *finally* working just perfect. Well at the
current state you should update *everytime* PA gets a new release. I
know how ugly it can be, I've had problems for one year with it, been
using raw Alsa or ESD, depending on the app.

But like I said, you can adjust sawfish easily to use another playbin.

> > > Another thingy is imlib1 ... I would like to move to imlib2. imlib1 is
> > > unsupported for years, and imlib2 is much better, AFAIK.
> >
> > +1
>
> Sure, but this will entail some work.

It does, but it's not on my Agenda for 1.6, it's more on the one for 3.0