Re: Removing old cruft

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 01:47:08PM -0700, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> > So with removing libgnome/libgnomeui/libgnomecanvas/libglade from
> > rep-gtk and sawfish a whole bunch of old gnome-cruft has been removed.
> >
> > The removal of those outdated, don't-use-them-anymore gnome-libraries is
> > called Project Ridley. Actually sawfish still uses two of those
> > libraries: esound and libaudiofile.
> >
> > So: what should we use instead? Raw Alsa, PulseAudio, x?
>
> AFAIK Pulse Audio is the de facto standard these days, so I'd go with that.

This is that kind of a "standard" which is not that usable on Fedora
10, you can hack your way around - maybe - on Fedora 11, it will
_possibly_ start to get in a reasonable shape in an upcoming Fedora 12
and I do not think that it is avaiable for RHEL4/CentOS4.

> > Another thingy is imlib1 ... I would like to move to imlib2. imlib1 is
> > unsupported for years, and imlib2 is much better, AFAIK.
>
> +1

Sure, but this will entail some work.

   Michal