Re: [README] Need two teams for working on sawfish (also for non-developers)

Am Donnerstag, den 24.09.2009, 12:57 -0500 schrieb Jeremy Hankins:
> Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> writes:
>
> >>  Improving the code does not mean the
> >> code itself, it means to improve the coding-style for better
> >> readabilitly (also remove all whitespace, as changes in it break patches
> >> easily).
>
> So this means line breaks and such?  Or what sort of things do you have
> in mind?

Exactly, linebreaks, indention & co.

> I'm guessing not actual code re-orgs and renaming, since that
> seems to be for team 2.

> As for whitespace, do you mean removing trailing whitespace?  Or
> replacing tabs with spaces or spaces with tabs?  Or just proper
> indentation?  Much of this could be done automatically (via tr/sed,
> and/or emacs).

both (unnecessary) trailing and leading whitespace

> >> Theoretically this can be done by anyone, as it does not
> >> involve real code-changes. So is there anyone willing to volounteer,
> >> this is considered a long-term task beginning asap and ending with 3.0
> >
> > thinking about it, it would also include something like moving from
> >
> > (defun foo (params)) to (define (foo params))
>
> This could be done via sed too, but it'd have to be tested it to see if
> it generated bugs.

I don't care how, as long as done properly.

> > and to add some more comments / improving docs
>
> This is worthwhile, but editing the comments would probably require at
> least some lisp knowledge.  Shouldn't that go along with changing the
> docstrings?

perhaps you're right.

> >> While it would be nice to at least have one person in the team with good
> >> lisp-knowledge, as I'm sure it may also lead to some (small) bugs beeing
> >> found/squashed.
> >>
> >> 2.
> >> ***************
> >>
> >> Better strings and command-names. sawfishs strings and naming scheme is
> >> a mess. This teams work is split in two:
> >>
> >> Sawfish 1.x: only doing string changes and renaming internal variables.
> >>
> >> Sawfish 3.0: renaming commands & co. Ignore compatibility for 3.0
> >
> > for 3.0 another possibility would be to also rename modules so that they
> > have better names, too.
>
> Would the 3.0 stuff be done during a freeze of some kind?  If lots of
> little changes are made everywhere in the code it seems like it would be
> a headache to merge in more substantive changes.

Where's always a freeze for atleast one month (the last in the cycle
(obviously))