Re: [README] Need two teams for working on sawfish (also for non-developers)

Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> writes:

>>  Improving the code does not mean the
>> code itself, it means to improve the coding-style for better
>> readabilitly (also remove all whitespace, as changes in it break patches
>> easily).

So this means line breaks and such?  Or what sort of things do you have
in mind?  I'm guessing not actual code re-orgs and renaming, since that
seems to be for team 2.

As for whitespace, do you mean removing trailing whitespace?  Or
replacing tabs with spaces or spaces with tabs?  Or just proper
indentation?  Much of this could be done automatically (via tr/sed,
and/or emacs).

>> Theoretically this can be done by anyone, as it does not
>> involve real code-changes. So is there anyone willing to volounteer,
>> this is considered a long-term task beginning asap and ending with 3.0
>
> thinking about it, it would also include something like moving from
>
> (defun foo (params)) to (define (foo params))

This could be done via sed too, but it'd have to be tested it to see if
it generated bugs.

> and to add some more comments / improving docs

This is worthwhile, but editing the comments would probably require at
least some lisp knowledge.  Shouldn't that go along with changing the
docstrings?

>> While it would be nice to at least have one person in the team with good
>> lisp-knowledge, as I'm sure it may also lead to some (small) bugs beeing
>> found/squashed.
>>
>> 2.
>> ***************
>>
>> Better strings and command-names. sawfishs strings and naming scheme is
>> a mess. This teams work is split in two:
>>
>> Sawfish 1.x: only doing string changes and renaming internal variables.
>>
>> Sawfish 3.0: renaming commands & co. Ignore compatibility for 3.0
>
> for 3.0 another possibility would be to also rename modules so that they
> have better names, too.

Would the 3.0 stuff be done during a freeze of some kind?  If lots of
little changes are made everywhere in the code it seems like it would be
a headache to merge in more substantive changes.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>