Re: NEWS on 1.6.0, crash fix...

Am Samstag, den 03.10.2009, 08:59 -0500 schrieb Jeremy Hankins:
Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com> writes:
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:42:53 +0200, Janek Kozicki wrote:

>>   http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Proposed_Goals#Restart_and_viewport>
>> for 1.6.0 ? I suffer from this one too...
>
> Hi, Janek. I proposed this, but I won't. The sawfish init is a
> labyrinth to me. It also requires viewport knowledge. Anyone?
>
> On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 08:41:27 -0500, Jeremy Hankins wrote:
>> Yeah, me too.

> Please report, in some format, what you find inconvenient/bad/buggy...
> Try to be keen on your sense, detecting a slight feeling of
> strangeness.  And don't try to solve all by yourself :) Don't fear dup
> report. If it hasn't been a topic for a while, then it's worth
> remembering.

Sure; when I restart sawfish everything ends up on vp 0,0, no matter
what viewport it started out on.  So I guess my problem isn't quite the
same as the one in the bug report, and perhaps not even exactly a bug.
My problem is evidently that I don't have a session manager (i.e., I
don't run Gnome or KDE), and so none of the code to save and restore
window properties actually gets run.

I don't think this is something I could fix anyway, really.  If I'm
understanding the code right the session module relies on a callback
from the C side to tell it to save state, but that callback can't be set
up unless the lisp side tells the C side how to talk to the session
manager -- which is of course impossible if there isn't one.

Have no fear, WindowManager-Hero-X is here, Kupo!

a) You need to use window-history to save atttrs
b) The following attrs are saved by default:
    ° sticky ignored never-focus type maximized frame-style cycle-skip window-list-skip

c) Just make it aware to save the VP attr by adding 'viewport' to the list, as example my value (not-yet-uploaded rev11 of my .sawfishrc):

( define-special-variable window-history-states '( sticky sticky-viewport ignored never-focus type fixed-position dimensions
   maximized frame-style cycle-skip window-list-skip viewport workspace ) )

Regards,