Re: on tabs

Hi,
ramestica nrao edu (2009-01-22 at 2223.25 -0500):
> GSR - FR wrote:
>>
>> So long? Wow... I thought there was some extras some weeks ago.
>
> this is what I found as a proper wiki:
>
> http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/Proposed_Goals#Tabbed_Windowing_Support
>
> the rest are a couple a thread discussions during August 2008, they
> contain a good deal but sparse set of ideas and specific details.

You missed the post in December. :]

>>> I want to change the tab's text, in a per window basis, with a text
>>> that
>> Why do you want to change the text via prompts? For my collection of
>> "what it is, what it needs". You never know, maybe I just jump into
>> coding it. ;]
> For a while I gave a try to kconsole. It is neat to have many shells open
> at once within one frame. After a few minutes of switching around shells
> you decide to dedicate one for X, another for Y and even another one for
> Z, and so on. At that moment you then set on-the-fly their tabs names to
> X, Y and Z, for their easy access in the short future.
>
> On this regard, it is important from my point of view that window's names
> and tab's texts are kept independent. I like Toyberg-Alt-FB because you
> see both at the same time (at least for the top most window in the tab
> group).

That sounds like some kind of window nick. It is a interesting idea,
and it could be independent of tabs too, for many other tasks, like
window switching.

[...]
> Hardcoding in theme the name of this custom window's attribute does not
> look right, but it works. Deja-vu, I feel doing something that somebody
> else has figured out better than me (lisp is rough on me), that's the
> reason for my original posting.

It could be global, then themes can show title or nick. What I am
still trying to figure is why some people have aversion to themes
doing things like this (there are themes that never show the title,
that does not mean the wm erases all titles and never knows about
them, just that it does not show them).

GSR