Re: New Debian installation

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:24:10 +0100
Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> wrote:

> >    OK maybe somebody else wants to answer this one:)
> >
> >    Obviously I have to start a panel, and a background manager
> > before Sawfish fires up. How do I do that. Other wm's use a file
> > such as startup in their directories but I don't see any
> > reference to that in all the docs I read. And I know less than
> > nothing about Lisp and have no desire to learn it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> You don't need to start anything, choose sawfish from GDM and it
> already is fired up. There's no autostart stuff in sawfish atm, I'm
> using some code, but it's far from beeing optimal. Also I haven't
> written in, I've found it on a webpage. You can find my sawfishrc
> here:
>
> http://www.nanolx.org/free/sawfishrc
>
> Navigate to line 522, ;; Startup Applications, if you want to have a
> look. Currently it has one defunct: processes are also created on
> restart, so before restart they need to be killed first (only those
> sawfish created will be killed and restarted), though.

  Work like a champ! I just tore out the startup section - changed the
processes to ones I want...and away we go. It looks like Sawfish
starts them up itself. I still kinda confused about the process
involved but whatever...it works :)

Maybe I missed it but I would think this info should be **somewhere**
on the Wiki...or mailing list?? After seeing the code...my desire to
never dabble in Lisp has been reinforced :)

Thanks so much for all your help

Frank