Re: New Debian installation

Am Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:04:00 -0500
schrieb Frank McCormick <beacon videotron ca>:

> > >   That's the solution I picked -  downloaded and installed
> > > everything from Sid and that fixed the problem. Dunno why those
> > > files are even in the testing repository as I Googled a least a
> > > couple of complaints about non-working installations. I wonder
> > > how many people just gave up when it didn't work ?
> >
> > Fine. But I thought Rodrigo has backported the `fix' from 1.3.5.3 to
> > 1.3.5.2 ... (`fix' because that was an ugly hack, the real fix was
> > done for 1.5.0.)
>

>    OK maybe somebody else wants to answer this one:)
>
>    Obviously I have to start a panel, and a background manager before
> Sawfish fires up. How do I do that. Other wm's use a file such as
> startup in their directories but I don't see any reference to that in
> all the docs I read. And I know less than nothing about Lisp and have
> no desire to learn it.
>
> Thanks

You don't need to start anything, choose sawfish from GDM and it
already is fired up. There's no autostart stuff in sawfish atm, I'm
using some code, but it's far from beeing optimal. Also I haven't
written in, I've found it on a webpage. You can find my sawfishrc here:

http://www.nanolx.org/free/sawfishrc

Navigate to line 522, ;; Startup Applications, if you want to have a
look. Currently it has one defunct: processes are also created on
restart, so before restart they need to be killed first (only those
sawfish created will be killed and restarted), though.