Re: New Debian installation

Am Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:04:25 -0500
schrieb Frank McCormick <beacon videotron ca>:

> > > /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
> > >

> > if you start the fallback session and start sawfish from that xterm,
> > does it work?
>
>   No..same situation.
>
> >Besides, which versions of librep/rep-gtk/sawfish are
> > you using?
>
>   rep-gtk 0.90.0-2
>   sawfish 1.3.5.2-1

(...) I'm not sure now (it's already 12 months ago) if librep/rep-gtk
0.90x + sawfish 1.3x will work. I can't remember for sure, but one of
both is blocking sawifsh 1.3.5x, either way there has also been a
hotfix release, 1.3.5.3, because of an major bug which prevented
startup on several systems. Well you may cherrypick sawfish 1.5.3 from
unstable.

... A bug regarding something wrong with the font module. But has been
fixed in 1.5.0.

There are now 4 new releases, so it will take some time, until they hit
Debian. Especially sawfish-pager ... it's only available as v0.6 in
oldstable.

> I know there are newer versions...but I don't want to start
> compiling. The one I'm running is the latest from the
> testing repositories.
>

> > I just re-installed Debian (switched from i386 to amd64) and it's
> > working out-of-the-box here.
>
>   Which flavor of Debian ? I'm running testing i386.

Sid. With selfmade packages from the latest ones.