Re: wheeling to shade on (titlebar) window border

Hi,
andrea vettorello gmail com (2008-02-17 at 2033.38 +0100):
> On Feb 17, 2008 6:37 AM, Mike Hokenson <gnome gozer org> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > My browser window isn't gigantic, but it's always in the way. Rather than minimize and use the menu or a toolbar to restore, I just shade and continue working. I've been using Openbox for years and it handles this fine (could be a special case), so it's really become habit - quickly move the mouse to the top of the screen, wheel, <key binding> to open a new xterm, finish work & close, wheel back browser, etc.
> >
> > Could this be controlled with a variable I've missed, some scripting, or adjustments to my theme? My attempts to change simple items like button layout in FinalStep have gone horribly wrong, so I'd rather themeing be a last resort. :P
> >

> If I'm interpreting this correctly (maximized windows, right?) it's on
> my to-do list from basically forever. I haven't tried a lot of themes,
> anyway i haven't found one yet that follows Fitts' laws: when a window
> is maximized you can't activate a button on an edge (for example the
> close button) moving your mouse pointer to the pixel at the corner of
> the display, you instead must backtrack to avoid the theme's border.

It is possible, there are themes with buttons, always or when
maximized, that reach the edge. Absolute-e does this with top edge,
2YearsToNever with corner, absolute-metal with corner... maybe I was
lucky and only the first three of the list do. :] FinalStep looks like
button and title reach the edge, but do not really behave as such. :[

<rant>I guess people do not pay attention to such details when
designing themes until it is late (others just copy look and
behaviour, and thus inherit the problems or never see the need as
docks get the edge, eg). Personally I prefer the following layout, and
then on top build the look: maximize in one corner, then other
buttons, title and finally close in the other corner (left or right
does not matter, being alone is the point) to avoid errors, without
edge for the Fitts' law reason (no need of obvious corners or top edge
if using different mouse buttons for move and resize and border-grab
resize-edge-mode), plus keeping the positions even if the button is
disabled for muscle memory. And probably some other details that now I
just take for granted, it was long time ago when I tried to cover all
issues (SF was official GNOME WM then and discussions ensued about a
default theme).</rant>

OTOH, nothing forbids having the same function in different places
(title, buttons, edge...) or use window map (collisions / stealing
issues aside... so use a non blocking combo).

GSR