Re: Streaming to DLNA devices

On Mi, 2013-01-23 at 09:18 +0000, John Haxby wrote:

> I've got three DLNA devices and all three are, with a little persuasion,
> able to stream music and, in the case of the PVR, some video from
> Rygel.   DLNA software clients (for a variety of operating systems) are
> somewhat variable.   I haven't found any that will do gapless playback
> (and indeed the original NaimUniti firmware didn't either).   I tried a
> couple of control points before giving up in disgust; I'm sure it's
> possible to produce one but I'm also sure that it will have a lot
> workarounds for broken devices.

Yes. the UPnP support for gapless playback is optional and most people
skip implementing it in the renderer already (as we do as well) so
there's no need for controller implementers to implement that and so no
renderer implementer will care to implement it. The usual vicious
circle.

> I like Rygel, and so does the Uniti, but I've more-or-less given up on
> the other devices.  I just turn the volume up.

Rygel talks wonderfully to Rygel and with the nice Guacamayo[1] project
you can turn a Raspberry Pi into an audio renderer instantly :)

[1] http://guacamayo-project.org/info.html (currently down)