Re: Streaming to DLNA devices

On 23/01/13 01:17, Andrej Falout wrote:

>     [...] The only
>     uncompressed format DLNA supports is raw PCM (profile LPCM), but there
>     should be devices doing flac as well.
>

> I assume that due to 'http-get" in response this means that this
> formats are supported for streaming? I have Onkio that is advertised
> as supporting Flac, but when I bought it it turned out it is
> explicitly not supported for streaming, only for files :-(
>
> Do I need to specify http-get somehow to GetProtocolInfo or will this
> return both streaming supported formats and file supported formats?
>
> Yes, Linn does streaming Flac (which is an compressed format btw)

The NaimUniti and the like also support flac and I think a good many of
the high-end devices do as well.   I think Naim also support streamed
Apple Lossless now although I've not tried it.   At some point, I'm not
clear on the details, flac was necessary if you wanted high sample rates
(96kHz/24bit and 192kHz/24bit) and unless you're wired up with CAT-5 it
was necessary as well (3.9Mb/s and 7.7Mb/s respectively, at the data level).

>     > 2) A web browser control point. I am aware of dLeyna Cloud, but that
>     > is barely a prototype
>
>     [snip]
>
> With all this DLNA devices all over the place, I am fascinated that so
> few people want to use them :-) If I can find an app like Ampache but
> from 21st century (eg HTML5) I might do something myself...

I've got three DLNA devices and all three are, with a little persuasion,
able to stream music and, in the case of the PVR, some video from
Rygel.   DLNA software clients (for a variety of operating systems) are
somewhat variable.   I haven't found any that will do gapless playback
(and indeed the original NaimUniti firmware didn't either).   I tried a
couple of control points before giving up in disgust; I'm sure it's
possible to produce one but I'm also sure that it will have a lot
workarounds for broken devices.

I like Rygel, and so does the Uniti, but I've more-or-less given up on
the other devices.  I just turn the volume up.

jch