RE: rygel-0.4.2 will not start

Thanks, see replies below

-----Original Message-----
From: rygel-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:rygel-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
Sent: Friday, 23 October, 2009 17:12
To: GNOME UPnP/DLNA services
Subject: Re: rygel-0.4.2 will not start

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish slb com> wrote:

> I tested things out by using rygel from a laptop connected on a local network with music (mp3) files on an external networked hard drive (maxstor mss+) and a ps3 (firmware 3.01). Gstreamer and gst-plugins-base were installed.

   You really want to have all the gst plugin packages installed,
especially gst-plugins-bad.

OK, but in terms of streaming music to another machine (ps3) if they are not required, why install them?

> The ps3 took 15-30s to find the media server and 15-30s to find each  level of the folder structure, for example Group_Name -> Album1, Album2, .. AlbumN - there were a number of errors of the form:

  That is pretty strange. Are you using the media-export or tracker plugin?

I'm using the media-export plugin - tracker is not installed. Note that the "--disable-tracker" ./configure switch still seems to build the tracker plugin?

> a DNLA protocol error has occurred (2014) - there are no images
> a DNLA protocol error has occurred (2006) - there are no images

  These are normal since there is no clue as to what they are. I've
access to DLNA docs but these references are not from any DLNA
document. Full points to Sony for displaying big integers to users and
developers that can not possibly help them in any way except for Trial
& error.

   However, these errors are hopefully refering to some DLNA
incompatibility and I intend to make rygel 100% DLNA compatible in the
near future. Hopefully these errors will go away at that point.

> 1. Do I need to compile the gst-plugin with mp3 (which one is it?) before I will see the mp3 files on the ps3?

   No, there is normally no gstreamer involved (at least it shouldn't
be) when playing files that PS3 readily supports.

> 2. Why are there so many dnla protocol errors?

  As said above, nobody has any clues about them except for the
developers of PS3.

> 3. Do I need to do anything with the section below in rygel.conf?

  No, this section is about a plugin that is meant for power users who
want to make gstreamer pipelines available as streamable items on the
UPnP network.

  I am so sorry for being so unhelpful but I do not have access to
your distro and Jens doesn't have a PS3. :( So in the end, we would
look at you for finding this out for us if you are really serious
about this distro of yours. :)

I'll keep trying - note that since "this distro of yours" is an 11MB download and can be booted from CD/USB stick, it's not exactly difficult to access :)