[Rhythmbox-devel] select custom alsa pcm device?

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to ask this, but...

Is there a way to select a custom ALSA device for output, like you can do in xmms, mplayer etc? I plan to use Rhythmbox to play exclusively stereo files, so I'd be nice to use a custom "virtualsurround51" device I've defined in /etc/asound.conf.

However I don't want to make it the default ALSA device because I'm afraid it'll mess up the playback of "real" 5.1 files.

Many thanks in advance,
Panayiotis