Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Couldn't RB be more DAAP friendly?

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 16:49 -0700, John Daiker wrote:
> I've been experimenting with this, as well.  It takes about 25 seconds
> for me to load a 2100 song DB from an NFS server.  I am also working
> from a wifi connection at 11mbps.  Is this slowdown an NFS problem, or
> can some optimizations be written in Rhythmbox to recognize that songs
> are referenced through NFS?

The reason for it being slow is that to get the metadata from files,
Rhythmbox has to read them to look for tags. This involves accessing a
large amount of data, which is slow when going over a network and not
from a HDD.

I'm not sure that there is much we can do about it; and as someone else
mentioned, DAAP is much quicker because the server sends us just the
metadata.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.
It's like television without the television part." -- James "Kibo" Parry