Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 00:34 +0000, Gareth Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 01:21 +0100, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
> > In regards to the new Sound Juicer icon, I think the Rhythmbox icon
> > should be a picture of a box that shakes with nodes coming out of it.
> > Hence, Rhythmbox.
>
> Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, I'll whip up some drafts
> tomorrow when I get the time. The biggest problem when designing an icon
> like this though, is that you have to think of how it will look at 22x22
> and even 16x16...

Sounds good. For the tray icon, how about
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/rhythmbox/data/art-clearlooks/rhythmbox-tray-icon.png?rev=1.1

There were a few "bluecurve" icons made up about six months ago, but
quite a few people didn't like them because they didn't fit in with most
non-Bluecurve (non-Tango I guess now) themes.

> > I think that's because pictures speaks louder than words, but patches
> > speaks even louder =)
>
> This is an extremely valid point Martin, but you also have to remember
> that we contribute in any way we CAN... I don't know any C, therefore I
> can't immediately whip up a patch, however I do know art and user
> interface design, so I'll try my best in that respect.

If we there is a mockup that is generally considered good, I'm someone
(possibly me) knock up a patch for it. I'd probably have to agree that
patches are "better" because you can actually use it, but to start with
mockups are more useful (and usually take less time).

> This is also why I look forward to the Python plugin architecture, as
> then I WILL be able to submit some code. Hopefully the devs will find a
> way to allow us to build on the GUI using the plugins.

How plugins add to existing UI (including the main window) is something
we haven't sorted out yet. My current feeling is that we could use "add
widget to sidebar" and "add widget to header" functions, but something
else may be better.

I guess I could always look at how Gedit/Ephy/Banshee do it ;)

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
> Even when Gatso's are used soley for speed-detection, they still take
> multiple pictures, just to prove it wasn't receiving a rouge signal
Well, if there's a measurable red-shift, the driver is definitely going
too fast. -- David Taylor, James Riden, asr