Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] UI comments on merge branch

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:22:11PM +1000, James Livingston wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 23:01 +0200, Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
> > Perhaps each component should disappear if not used (no queue if no
> > songs were added to it, and no cover widget, if no cover found); and
> > in that case one keybinding could be used to hide the whole sidebar ?
>
> Originally the cover widget did disappear when no art was found. The
> problem is that the widget will continually appear, and then disappear,
> causing the other sidebar widgets to resize. This isn't good because a)
> it's disconcerting and b) it's probably against some part of the HIG.
>
> On a side note, I just thought about the patch to preserve the aspect
> ratio of the cover art. I haven't looked at it, but it might start
> resizing the cover widget again (which may, or may not be a problem).

The patch doesn't cause any resizing; it still constrains the album art
to fit in the same square area that current gets used.  If the art isn't
square, you wind up a sort of letterboxing effect, with whitespace on
either the sides or the top and bottom.