Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Suggestions for Rhythmbox

Dnia 18-10-2004, pon o godzinie 19:02 +0200, Christophe Fergeau napisał:
> > Well, this isn't the way that most system tray icons work, thus it's
> > not  very intuitive to me--maybe there could be an option to switch
> > this. Like  if you context clicked the music note in the tray, and
> > there was a line  that said 'close to tray' and either had a check or
> > no check. It would be  simple and unintrusive. (or it could be in the
> > advanced section of the  options, along with the add or remove
> > directories from db refresh list)
>
> Imo programs hiding in the systray when you click on the close button
> are a really bad idea, if I click on "close this program", I expect it
> to close, not to hide. Hiding the program in the tray icon when you
> click on the icon makes sense though I think. The only way to make it
> optional which would make sense would be a gconf key, but I don't think
> it's a good idea, it would be much better to have a HIG for the system
> tray and make all the apps behave identically ;)

When app nature warrants that - see my IM example - hiding and not
closing makes sense. In other cases (like RB), it doesn't. It really is
annoying to remember that little special case in Gossip, when closing
all message windows is ok, but closing buddy list closes app. It's
annoying, and actually complicates mental model

> > I think that is the problem :) The idea is to restart your computer
> > (and  your apps that you like open) as little as possible. There
> > really should  be an option to have the computer do this at a
> > specified interval in  specified directories (all in the background w/
> > a high nice factor)

It also needs means of explicit directory management - is it already
there in 0.9? Otherwise, you can get "zombie" dirs, which were added
once, but can in no way be removed from RB

> The 0.9 branch tries to automatically detect new files added to
> directories present in the library.

Nice to hear
/me makes mental note to play with 0.9 one of the following days :)

> > What doesn't make sense about someone re-arranging the tracks in the
> > program the way they want them? You can already re-arrange them if
> > you  click on any of the column headers (i.e. track number, album,
> > artist,  etc.). I don't like saving or using playlists--generally I
> > just listen to  artists or albums or whatever, but sometimes it would
> > be nice to be able  to pull your favorite song to the top of a given
> > list...
>
> Sounds like the often requested "play queue" where you can add songs to
> play, reorder them, ...

YES! :)

Cheers,
Maciej