Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Suggestions for Rhythmbox

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 19:02 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> Imo programs hiding in the systray when you click on the close button
> are a really bad idea, if I click on "close this program", I expect it
> to close, not to hide.

Right; but it depends on whether or not you think of Rhythmbox as an
application or as part of your desktop.  Music playing is a different
than something like Abiword because it's a constant thing that you do in
the background, as opposed to a short-term thing (open, edit document
close) that you do in the foreground.

Muine I think actually has a nice approach here in that you can think of
the applet (well, notification icon) as the primary interface to it; the
window is just like a dialog for selecting music, not an application. We
could take that approach for Rhythmbox too - have left click on the
applet pop up a menu, and a "Select music" entry that allows you to
navigate.  Rhythmbox is more complex than Muine though, so it doesn't
fit quite as well.  But doing things that way might be better than the
current mismash of notification icon/small mode/full mode.