Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Practical Rhythmbox usage ...

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 09:53:14PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 18:40, Nicholas Wieland wrote:
>
> > How ? It seems to me that all "metadata" are collected and used
> > internally to Rhythmbox.
>
> That's true right now, but I have plans to export an interface to the
> library.

Wonderful !

> > I don't know how it's handled by RB. For example I have all my mp3s
> > inside ~/Desktop/Music, i.e. inside ~/Desktop/Music/Pixies/Doolittle I
> > have the album Doolittle. If I add the directory Doolittle 2 times I
> > have all my songs duplicated.
>
> That shouldn't happen.  The only way you'll get duplicate songs right
> now is if there are multiple paths to the same file (inode), via a
> symlink or hard link.

I've just tried and I had all entries duplicated for the same file in
the same directory. Rhythmbox 0.8.4 on FreeBSD 5.2.1.

> > If I make a little change in a song RB doesn't mantain metadata, for
> > example ratings or passages. Quite irritating, maybe someone wants to
> > rate everything ...
>
> Yeah, it's hard to fix really cleanly, but we could probably hack around
> it by just keeping a record of all files we've ever seen and assume that
> if a file is ever later added with the same name it should have the same
> ratings, etc.

Uhm, I don't think this is the best solution possible, because someone
could download a song that has the same title as another one, but
maybe the downloaded one is a live version. Also I think that it would
conflict with some tools that rip CDs and name song automatically,
grip for example. IMHO this can't be done with some user interaction ...

HAND,
  ngw