Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Practical Rhythmbox usage ...

On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 18:40, Nicholas Wieland wrote:

> How ? It seems to me that all "metadata" are collected and used
> internally to Rhythmbox.

That's true right now, but I have plans to export an interface to the
library.

> I don't know how it's handled by RB. For example I have all my mp3s
> inside ~/Desktop/Music, i.e. inside ~/Desktop/Music/Pixies/Doolittle I
> have the album Doolittle. If I add the directory Doolittle 2 times I
> have all my songs duplicated.

That shouldn't happen.  The only way you'll get duplicate songs right
now is if there are multiple paths to the same file (inode), via a
symlink or hard link.

> If I make a little change in a song RB doesn't mantain metadata, for
> example ratings or passages. Quite irritating, maybe someone wants to
> rate everything ...

Yeah, it's hard to fix really cleanly, but we could probably hack around
it by just keeping a record of all files we've ever seen and assume that
if a file is ever later added with the same name it should have the same
ratings, etc.