Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature-Request: Advanced Filters, Playlist,Advanced Id3 Ver.2 Support

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 20:40, Andy Hanton wrote:

> I don't think that a 'now playing' screen is necessary.  If the player
> remembered the query that was active when the user started playing, it
> should be possible to use the saved query to find what to play next even
> when the user has navigated somewhere else.  The jump to playing song
> command would restore this query instead of clearing the query.

Ok, I started to look at implementing this, and actually getting into
the code made me think about the ramifications a bit more, and I came to
the conclusion that having hidden state in this way would have some
confusing UI side effects.  Take this scenario.

1) User selects an artist and an album.
2) User hits the Play button at the top, and playback starts.
3) User starts browsing away somewhere else in their library.
4) User decides to go out to lunch for a bit, and hits Pause.
5) User comes back from lunch, and has forgotten that they were playing
music before.
6) User single-clicks on a song that's currently displayed.
7) User hits the Play button at the top.
8) Their pre-lunch song starts playing, *not* the song they had
selected.

So to solve this problem, you would have to use double-click to start
playback.  Or we would have to have a separate Stop button (in addition
to play/pause), in order to explicitly stop playing from the "hidden"
playlist, and to make the Play button use the current list.  I can't say
I much like either of those ideas...

This is a digitally signed message part