Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature-Request: Advanced Filters, Playlist,Advanced Id3 Ver.2 Support

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 14:07, Colin Walters wrote:

> >  Always play from the top of 'now playing'
> > list instead of directly from the library (no change to play from regular
> > playlist logic).  When user double clicks in library, song/album is
> > appended to 'now playing'.
>
> Ok.  My biggest problem with this is discoverability - how should a new
> Rhythmbox user know that this is what's going to happen?  If one has no
> experience with music players at all, I think the current UI is actually
> fairly intuitive - you double-click on a song, a little play icon
> appears, and the music starts playing.  That's it.
>
> With "Now Playing", things get more complicated.
> The library becomes more like a music browser.  Should the library even
> have a stop button?  Forward/back?  How does the user know that songs
> appear in "Now Playing" when he double clicks on them?

I don't think that a 'now playing' screen is necessary.  If the player
remembered the query that was active when the user started playing, it
should be possible to use the saved query to find what to play next even
when the user has navigated somewhere else.  The jump to playing song
command would restore this query instead of clearing the query.  This
doesn't solve the problem of how to queue songs, but I think a working
library and the playlist support that rhythmbox has would be acceptable
for most people.  If someone can figure out to make 'now playing'
intuitive, I don't mind.  I just want the library to not skip to playing
what I am looking at.

--
Andy Hanton <andyhanton@comcast.net>