Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Feature-Request: Advanced Filters, Playlist,Advanced Id3 Ver.2 Support

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 14:07 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 11:45, David Mansfield wrote:
> > I will second this (not necessarily the autoplay, although that sounds
> > pretty cool, too).  I don't really like the way the 'play from library'
> > (normal play mode when not playing from a play list) works at all.  If I
> > wanted to play an album, and I found it in the library and started playing
> > it, then browse somewhere else, it will stop playing the album, and start
> > playing somewhere else.
> Yeah.  It's definitely the largest flaw in the Rhythmbox UI, but it's
> one that's been discussed a lot in the past, with no real resolution.
> This has actually sparked at least one other music player I know of:
> That said, my biggest concern with this is that I agree it's a problem,
> but I'm worried that some solutions will end up creating different
> problems.
> > Specific Recommendation:
> >
> > A permanent special playlist called 'now playing' where each song is
> > deleted after being played.
> I like the name.

This is how Media Player 9 works under M$ and seems to work quite well
[And it's called "Now playing"]. When browsing the library and you find
something you want to listen to you can either:

(a) Play it
(b) Queue it up

Playing it replaces whatever is in the "Now playing" playlist with your

Queueing it up adds it to the end of the playlist. It doesn't however
delete items from the list when they're played (That would break

> Ok.  My biggest problem with this is discoverability - how should a new
> Rhythmbox user know that this is what's going to happen?  If one has no
> experience with music players at all, I think the current UI is actually
> fairly intuitive - you double-click on a song, a little play icon
> appears, and the music starts playing.  That's it.

I think "Now playing" makes things fairly obvious, as long as it is
specially identifiable in the list of playlists, and maybe if it gets
jumped to when you "Play"

> Also, should "Now Playing" be used for Radio?  And what about regular
> playlists?

Yes - if you do this then, at least for regular playlists, it means you
can play a particular playlist, but with a few changes, by adding/
removing songs from the "Now Playing" playlist without affecting the

Lee Willis