Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] yet another new mockup (meta)

Il mar, 2003-05-13 alle 12:56, Jorn Baayen ha scritto:
> tis 2003-05-13 klockan 10.21 skrev Luca Ferretti:
> >
> >       * All buttons should have label and accelerator --> :-(
>
> Not 'toolbar' buttons..

Yesssss! This is a really interesting escape :-))

> >       * volume button is crack: it works like volume-applet, but it
> >         isn't an applet, it's a button, so it should work as all other
> >         buttons --> remove it and use a slider?
>
> Two sliders next to each other? Nah.. messy.. but since it's the same
> icon as the volume applet (which is there by default, right) I don't
> think it should be much of a problem. Plus, the user will find out
> immediately when exploring anyway.

I don't this so. IMHO there is another reason: rb's volume is a relative
volume, so a different (visual) approach can help to understand that
it's a different volume. Besides (but it's a very personal taste) slider
can show quickly the status so you can better choose between to change
global volume, or change only rb volume.

About volume behaviour: slider max value is 2, min is 0. When you set it
to 1 (default setting), you don't have 'preamp', when you move it you
change relative value.

So, placing the slider in the right place (see iTunes), you can align
it's cursor to another widget and you can quickly understand current
status (yeah, we need a little volume icon near slider)

> >       * Single column lists should have header only if "user may wish to
> >         re-order the list" :-| and all lists should have a label (above
> >         or left) with an access key to focus list :-@ --> I think can we
> >         break this guidelines (it's dialog window design, someone should
> >         talk about it with HIG writers)
>
> Well I think we should definetely use headers..

BTW take a look to iTunes and/or Aqua stuff: vertical slider/scrollbars
is _under_ header, don't near as in GTK+, QT, Win32 widgets.
It's really cool in library browser: can we reimplement it? Pleeeese...

> >       * sliders should have a label as above
>
> The seek one does have a time label beneath it.. maybe we need more..
> but I think this is pretty clear. I mean, the slider starts moving when
> you paly the song so..

Sorry, I was speaking about a descriptive label with access key, as well
as for lists (see Mouse capplet). But I suppose that 1) it's not a
dialog, 2) it's music player, it needs to be a little cool, so you can
forget this.

> > Personal taste:
> >       * move shuffle repeat to right, so you can use label (to left) to
> >         show menu item's tooltips
>
> Yea, but the text should really be under the view because that's where
> it belongs :(
>
> But you have a good point here.. hmm.. maybe move shuffle/repeat back to
> the toolabr after all if we decide not to have a meta button..

Probably we have to do it... mmhhh.... we _have to_ choose ONE!!!

--
Think bigger

			My uncle