Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 18:37, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 17:25, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Yes yes yes, you've said this plenty of times :)
> >
> > But really, it is very important to get the UI right. The old rb UI and
> > the one before that had tons of problems, and I'm not going to explain
> > them once again. Fixing bugs on a bad UI is a waste of time, since you
> > end up investing a lot of time into soething taht will soon be obsolete
> > anyway. Third, a horrible example of bad UI getting out of hand and the
> > problems arising to get it fixed is galeon. Marco even resigned, I do
> > not want that. Lastly, this is not a company that needs to get something
> > out the next day.
>
> Jorn, I didnt resign because of a bad design. I resigned because I
> growed a team of crack lovers :)

Which is related, if you have bad ui and attract all kinds of crack
lovers you're fucked :) But indeed this is not same with rb, since I
wont let the ui crackify - at worst it will just be bad :)

> Really, stabilizing a design you dont feel perfect you are not risking
> to get in a galeon like pain. I'm sure you will be able to convince
> developers about a better design when you will find it (rhythmbox 2 ?).
> Surely there will be some resistence by users used to the old design,
> but that's not a big deal, if you do a good work people will get it
> after some time (that happened even with galeon2).

Right.

> That said, I can see you have not much motivation to work on something
> you dont like much. Still, keep in consideration that both feedback on
> the old design and time would help you making the new design better.
> When you are "forced" to find a solution soon, hardly you can find one
> good.

Indeed... but, starting with the sidebar and views, there's a lot of
cruft code causing bugs, code complexity, etc. So that's something basic
that needs to be solved before imho. That is gone now from CVS, and I
quite like the new design myself, it's not perfect but it is a start. I
know most don't like it though. So I would start hacking on it, but if
noone likes it.. well. Well I guess I'm just coding for myself then ;)

Cheers,
Jorn