Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 17:25, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> Yes yes yes, you've said this plenty of times :)
>
> But really, it is very important to get the UI right. The old rb UI and
> the one before that had tons of problems, and I'm not going to explain
> them once again. Fixing bugs on a bad UI is a waste of time, since you
> end up investing a lot of time into soething taht will soon be obsolete
> anyway. Third, a horrible example of bad UI getting out of hand and the
> problems arising to get it fixed is galeon. Marco even resigned, I do
> not want that. Lastly, this is not a company that needs to get something
> out the next day.

Jorn, I didnt resign because of a bad design. I resigned because I
growed a team of crack lovers :)

Really, stabilizing a design you dont feel perfect you are not risking
to get in a galeon like pain. I'm sure you will be able to convince
developers about a better design when you will find it (rhythmbox 2 ?).
Surely there will be some resistence by users used to the old design,
but that's not a big deal, if you do a good work people will get it
after some time (that happened even with galeon2).

That said, I can see you have not much motivation to work on something
you dont like much. Still, keep in consideration that both feedback on
the old design and time would help you making the new design better.
When you are "forced" to find a solution soon, hardly you can find one
good.

Just brain storming, I'm not voting :)

Marco