Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox: gstreamer vs xine

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 21:19, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 16:03, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm mailing to let you know I have been moving CVS Rhythmbox
> > (monkey-media) to use xine instead of GStreamer.
>
> I'd just like to say that if I had a vote, it would be to keep using
> GStreamer.

_If_ I had a vote, it would be to settle down, and try to fix bugs in
one semi-stable version of the code, before changing interfaces (again),
changing models (again), and changing backends (for the first time.) It
seems that without much more work to stabilize things it's very hard to
identify where bugs are and what are design flaws and not just bugs. To
put it another way, I hope everyone realizes at some point that settling
down and _finishing_ one version will be a huge step towards learning a
lot and making the next version much better, instead of just skipping on
towards the next version and not learning the hard lessons from the
first time around.

Then again, I have to stress that I _don't_ have a vote- like every
project, this should belong to the developers, and they should do
(first) what's fun for them. But I've gone back to xmms, and it's not
because of gstreamer. :/

Luis