Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Monkey-media and library backend

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 17:46, MArk Finlay wrote:
> > In fact, I've spent a reasonable amount of time this week reading up on
> > GTK+/GLib/gstreamer/musicbrainz, and well as looking over the src code
> > of monkey-media and (net)rhythmbox, and will probably continue that over
> > the weekend / next week. Hopefully then I'll be in a reasonable position
> > to see what needs doing from a architectural/technical point of view.
>
> From what I can tell you seem to be learning very fast - hopefully you
> can preove me wrong in terms of how long I think it will take to get
> going ;)
>
> One thing I would suggest is that you try to concentrate on looking at
> rhythmbox HEAD - the UI may not be perfect but the code quality is sooo
> much better.

Well, there's also a lot less code :)  It has no concept of sources or
views or anything really right now.  It doesn't have much in the way of
preferences.

Yes, I think that the netrb code base is too complicated, but I also
think it would be a mistake to just try to start from scratch with the
rb codebase.

The best approach in my opinion is to take the rb codebase, then copy
over the "views" directory from netrb.  Rename it "sources".  Then
create an abstract RBSource class that has all the duplicate
functionality in each of the views, and make the old views inherit from
this.  You'll probably want to copy over the preferences stuff from
netrb too.  The iradio directory will need to be synced up.

That'll get us pretty close.  Of course the above is a big
simplification, but I think it's the overall idea.