[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Monkey-media and library backend

Hello

Browsing some of the gnomesuport RB forums it's very cool to see so many
people interested. However, 'just' taking over the project without any
gtk/glib experience is not going to work. The rhythmbox code in itself
is not the easiest thing in the world, and then gobject also requires
getting used to - if you just dive in fat chance you would a) not get
the big picture b) not understand much at all c) mess everything up.
I am willing to function as project 'leader' for the coming couple of
months, as in reviewing patches, helping out setting up a new
architecture, giving advice, etc. I don't think I would code myself
though, or organise things - just canal stuff. And then once I see some
of the new developers found their way I will just pass on the job.

I read sisob's UI page, I quite like what's up there, apart from:
1 - these checkboxes just need to go
2 - not being able to queue (related to 1 ofc ourse), but this is
something very major for me. While the RB head UI is a mess, I kinda
liked it because I could play directly from the lib and queue easily,
both at the same time. A 'current playlist' view might work, however we
should also have a 'queue' (context)menu item then.
3 - we need an easy search ui (first search result should be selected
also, and pressing return should start playing it - a la xmms)
4 - the source selector needs some way to indicate which source is
playing

I'm not going to go back into that myself though, I just wanted to touch
the subject. The UI here would probably be very cool already.

Cheers.