Re: Gtk2-Perl: tarball uploads to master.g.o

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:13:58AM +0100, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:
> On 19.03.2011 17:44, Olav Vitters wrote:
> >I'm planning to severely restrict the shell access to master.gnome.org,
> >so I want all issues resolved in a nice way. I think if we'd:
> >1. have perl-*.tar.xz on ftp.gnome.org
> >2. some way to link the bindings to GNOME versions
> >
> >We could update our scripts to understand above.
> >
> >Uploading tarballs will be allowed btw. I think to link tarball names I
> >probably just define a file 'perl-$GNOME_VER.versions', with contents:
> >   # module:version
> >   perl-Gtk2:1.221
> >
> >Then our scripts could understand this... and to link perl bindings to
> >GNOME versions, you could just upload this special file with
> >install-module (IMPORTANT: before a GNOME release).
>
> This sounds doable, yes.  But by now I'm not convinced anymore that
> having our tarballs on ftp.gnome.org has any advantage for us or for
> GNOME.  We already have two well-known places where we put our
> tarballs: CPAN and sourceforge.net.  I doubt many people use
> ftp.gnome.org to get our tarballs.*  So maybe all this
> special-casing that you'd need to implement is not worth the effort
> and we should just stop distributing our tarballs on ftp.gnome.org
> altogether?
>
> * Do you have any download statistics to check my suspicion?

ftp.gnome.org is just the primary mirror. It has some statistics:
http://www.acc.umu.se/technical/statistics/ftp/gnome.html.en

but it only shows the most popular files though :-(

You mean the ones we used to put up in the bindings directory right?

I can ask the mirror admins for more detailed statistics.

--
Regards,
Olav