Re: String changes in gnome-backgrounds

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 21:15, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
>> 2011/3/23 Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>:
>

>> Fully agreeing with Johannes here, but want to stress that Release
>> Team should be informed of all important freeze breaks and cases when
>> freeze request procedure is not respected. I'm sure breaks against
>> hard code freeze like these are even more interesting to the Release
>> Team.
>>
>> Release Team: Thread at
>> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2011-March/msg00222.html
>>

> From my perspective as a release team member, the overarching goal is
> to ship something that will get people excited about GNOME 3.
> Considering that we cut down a lot on other 'tweakability' aspects,
> having at least set of fresh backgrounds to go with the new background
> panel is probably more important than following the processes to the
> letter.
> Yes, these strings should probably have translator comments, and yes,
> having the backgrounds sorted out before all the freezes would be
> nice. But for all practical purposes, these strings are _names_. The
> have no functional role in the background panel. If having them not
> translated is hugely upsetting to you, we can discuss shipping
> nameless backgrounds, but I personally don't think that would be an
> improvement.
Definitely we're gonna ship something that will get people excited, at
least to those who speak English, since I cannot remember that many
string freeze breaks, late updates, bla-bla-blah since many, many
releases ago. I doubt many teams are gonna make it, seriously. Just
check the stats.

Regards.