Re: String changes in gnome-backgrounds

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
> 2011/3/23 Johannes Schmid <jhs jsschmid de>:

> Fully agreeing with Johannes here, but want to stress that Release
> Team should be informed of all important freeze breaks and cases when
> freeze request procedure is not respected. I'm sure breaks against
> hard code freeze like these are even more interesting to the Release
> Team.
>
> Release Team: Thread at
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2011-March/msg00222.html
>

>From my perspective as a release team member, the overarching goal is
to ship something that will get people excited about GNOME 3.
Considering that we cut down a lot on other 'tweakability' aspects,
having at least set of fresh backgrounds to go with the new background
panel is probably more important than following the processes to the
letter.
Yes, these strings should probably have translator comments, and yes,
having the backgrounds sorted out before all the freezes would be
nice. But for all practical purposes, these strings are _names_. The
have no functional role in the background panel. If having them not
translated is hugely upsetting to you, we can discuss shipping
nameless backgrounds, but I personally don't think that would be an
improvement.

Matthias