Re: Evolution/MAPI

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 16:49 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:

> > > Sure, but the last time we were based on libmapi-0.7's particular
> > > version. We surely would depend on libmapi-0.8, but some time later, as
> > > this new version brings in API changes which we aren't interested much
> > > to change atm. It changes the architecture a bit around supporting
> > > multiple Exchange connections. So I might depend on 0.8 may be some time
> > > later, but for now, I would stick to a particular version. Even libmapi
> > > for that matter depends on a particular samba4 revision than some
> > > tarball.
> >
> > So you want to use something which is between libmapi-0.7 and
> > libmapi-0.8? I think that's something we'd like to avoid.
>
> I want to avoid that too. It probably makes it harder for distributions
> that might need to ship different versions of the same library if other
> software also depends on libmapi.
> How old is the current "particular version"/svn revision?

Andre, I guess, its very close to 0.8. Just before 0.8 brought in some
major stuffs which would take lots of time to adapt to. It has some
major features and arch changes since 710 rev. I

> How much work/code changes would it require to depend on 0.8?
> Is this feasible for the 2.26 API freeze at January 12th?

Not sure, as we based around this version quite since time and our
primary goal has been to get MAPI provider on to some shape, our focus
to adapt to modifying libmapi was minimal. I would like to move to 0.8,
but, my estimations prove wrong. Hope you got my plan. 0.8 provides
stuff like multisession (More than one Exchange accounts), which changes
the provider and the libmapi arch a bit. So its gonna pain doing the
change now. Instead, I would like to do this, once the multisession
stuff shapes up a bit, post 0.8.

> I'd really like to find a suitable solution for 2.26 because missing
> support for Exchange 2007 is quite a sales blocker currently.

I know, its gonna a big thing. I'm shipping this as experimental with
OpenSUSE 11.1 and most of our efforts are getting into making this to a
better shape. We aren't close to feature parity with the old provider,
but just have most of the operations just appearing and into bug fixing
now. I expect a goooood round of bug fixing, before we do any major
changes. Its getting really tough for us bug fixing in an environment
where things around us are changing, so I expect long turn-arounds for
bug fixing.

-Srini