Re: [gdm-list] GDM status.

Ray,

Thanks for your info. I think new GDM looks good. If all guys agree to integrate it into GNOME 2.24, why not move it to GNOME 2.23 as soon as possible. So that more distributions could test, also relevant applications have soak time to fix potential issues. For example, current gnome-session calls socket-based GDM interface to create a flexible display for user switch. Obviously this needs to switch to new GDM D-Bus interface.

-Simon

Ray Strode wrote:
Hi,

+ The GDM daemon does not support any configuration. In old
GDM, /usr/share/gdm/default.conf has a lot of configuration. And new GDM
uses gconf to store configuration, right? Could we review and decide
what configurations are worth to keeping in new GDM?
It does support some configuration.  A lot of the options just don't
make sense with new GDM.

The big one we need to figure out is server configuration, and I
*think* it makes sense to do this at the ConsoleKit level and not the
gdm level.
+ gdmsetup is not yet supported. It's a good GUI to allow administrator
to modify login window style.
Jon is working on an account dialog/login settings window I think.

+ gdmgreeter XML style themes are not supported. Do we have counterpart
to allow distribution to custon their theme?
I don't think there is any plan to add backward compat here.  At least
I don't know of anyone willing to put the work forward to do this.
MacSlow is working on a new greeter, but I don't think it will support
the old format.

The current greeter is configurable in some respects (can be branded
by distributions, can have custom welcome message, etc), but it's
meant to match the rest of the system more than to look different on
its own.  It uses system background settings, theme settings, etc, to
try to fit in.  I'll admit it's sort of ugly though, and I think most
of the complaints about not having the old theme format are more "the
new look isn't as aesthetically pleasing as it used to be".

Having said that, I don't think it would be tremendous amount of work
to write a greeter that was compatible with the old theme format.

--Ray