Re: Enabling accessibility by default for GNOME?

Argh. I forgot to CC Willie on my previous reply...
Anyway. Here, it is, fully quoted. And with a new comment from me at the
bottom :-)

Le jeudi 03 juillet 2008, à 13:49 +0200, Vincent Untz a écrit :
> Le mercredi 02 juillet 2008, à 09:20 -0400, Willie Walker a écrit :
> > Thanks Vincent!
> >
> > I should have been more clear so as to avoid the AccessX
> > misunderstanding.  By "enabling accessibility" I meant the equivalent of
> > doing the following:
> >
> > gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> > xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
> > /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true
> >
> > This would enable the AT-SPI infrastructure by default.  Enabling the
> > AccessX functionality is a whole different beast for a whole different
> > discussion.  :-)
>
> Ah, right. It means that you still have to enable keyboard a11y first
> before being hit by the bug I linked to?
>
> >> Another risk is that things can get slower with a11y turned on (I
> >> remember fixing this in the workspace switcher properties -- it turned
> >> out to be code that was "less than optimized", but it wasn't noticable
> >> without a11y).
> >
> > These are the exact kind of things we'd like to find!  :-)  By
> > identifying these kinds of problems earlier, we can help assure that
> > users that need accessibility won't end up suffering from such
> > performance problems.
>
> Nod.

> >> I'm for it, at least during the development cycle.
> >
> > I *think* we already have it on for the development cycle if I recall
> > correctly.  What I'm hoping for is to see it enabled by default all the
> > time.  :-)
>
> Ah, right, I think I remember some discussion about this now. Probably
> makes sense if we don't find big problems during the development cycle.

There's been nobody complaining, so Willie, you should probably just go
ahead and prepare things so that a11y gets enabled by default in the
stable release.