Re: Enabling accessibility by default for GNOME?

Le mercredi 02 juillet 2008, à 09:20 -0400, Willie Walker a écrit :
> Thanks Vincent!
>
> I should have been more clear so as to avoid the AccessX
> misunderstanding.  By "enabling accessibility" I meant the equivalent of
> doing the following:
>
> gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --type bool --set
> /desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility true
>
> This would enable the AT-SPI infrastructure by default.  Enabling the
> AccessX functionality is a whole different beast for a whole different
> discussion.  :-)

Ah, right. It means that you still have to enable keyboard a11y first
before being hit by the bug I linked to?

>> Another risk is that things can get slower with a11y turned on (I
>> remember fixing this in the workspace switcher properties -- it turned
>> out to be code that was "less than optimized", but it wasn't noticable
>> without a11y).
>
> These are the exact kind of things we'd like to find!  :-)  By
> identifying these kinds of problems earlier, we can help assure that
> users that need accessibility won't end up suffering from such
> performance problems.

Nod.

>>> In any case, I'm curious about your thoughts before I consider
>>> raising this on desktop-devel.  That is, if you kill it here, I won't
>>> raise it there.  ;-)
>>
>> I'm for it, at least during the development cycle.
>
> I *think* we already have it on for the development cycle if I recall
> correctly.  What I'm hoping for is to see it enabled by default all the
> time.  :-)

Ah, right, I think I remember some discussion about this now. Probably
makes sense if we don't find big problems during the development cycle.