Re: Updating minimum version of an existent external dep

On 8/15/07, Carlos Garcia Campos <carlosgc gnome org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if there is a restriction on when we can update a minimum
> requirement of an external dependency in the release cycle. The question
> is that poppler 0.6 rc2 has just been released and there are plans to
> release poppler 0.6 on 15th of September. That's very late in the GNOME
> schedule. Poppler API (actually glib bindings, which is the part evince
> depends on) is going to change (breakage) before poppler 0.6, so I would
> like to release evince 0.10 (to be released in GNOME 2.20) depending on
> poppler 0.6 since it will be more API stable. I've already proposed to
> release 0.6 earlier, but I'm not sure if the GNOME schedule is a good
> reason for the other poppler guys.
>
> Anyway, If it's too late to update the minimum required version, we can
> just release evince 0.10 depending on poppler rc2 and update the
> requirements later during 2.21/2.22.

There's no restriction in the rules we've written; just whether you
can get consensus for the change.  :-)

Sept 15 is indeed really late in the schedule for us, and I worry
about whether their release would slip; but if you're fine releasing
an evince that depends on a release candidate, then I guess we could
always use it as a backup.

So, I think I'm okay with this but I'd like feedback from others in
the team for their opinions.  Also, either way, please keep us
informed of any changes in the poppler schedule.

Elijah