Re: GNOME Productivity release set

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 15:43 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 14:52 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:
> > HI Vincent,
> >            You can include AbiWord-2.3.1 as the inaugrial package of the
> > gnome-productivity collection in this release.
>
> When we discussed this new release set in the board meeting, there was
> some fear that, even without the initial proposal's references to
> OpenOffice, this might not be as inclusive as we like to be. I
> personally think that we can define it in a way that pleases everybody,
> but we need to show that we can do that.
>
> So I think this release set should not be an official part of GNOME
> 2.12. But if it works outside of GNOME 2.12 (as Platform Bindings did at
> first), without controversy, then I think we'll have shown that it can
> become official for 2.13/2.14, 6 months from now. I think that means
> just listing them on separate wiki pages and linking to them as
> "associated projects on the same schedule".
>
> At the very least, we need some text to define what this release set is,
> such as we have for the existing 3 sets here:
> http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/tasks.html
> And any special guidelines, such as these for Platform Bindings:
> http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/bindings/rules.html

I'm going to take a different view here ... is having an actively
developed, interesting set of GNOME productivity applications going to
discourage OpenOffice from trying to integrate from GNOME? Why would
it?

OpenOffice definitely integrates far better with GNOME than it once did,
but the ability for GNOME to influence its design, to have it integrate
with the desktop in interesting new ways, to have cross-over in hackers
between the two projects is effectively zero.

I think promoting applications that are truly native to the GNOME
platform has significant value and we shouldn't shy away from it in
the fear that we might offend the OpenOffice community.

There's certainly some danger in looking ridiculous - we can't really
push Abiword + Gnumeric as an alternative to OpenOffice at this point;
but if don't do that in our marketing materials, but rather try to
push apps in the productivity release as innovative, interesting uses
of our platform, I don't think we have to fall into that trap.

Regards,
						Owen