Planner-list Incredibly slow startup and errors when running planner as an X client across network

I'm running planner as an X client process on a remote (well, not very
remote, but it's across the LAN) computer using my desktop machine as
the X server.  I.e. an absolutely standard client/server X setup.

Other applications (e.g. terminals, synaptic and others) work
perfectly normally run the same way so I think my X setup is OK.

When I run 'planner' on the remote system's command line the following
sequence occurs:-

    An incredibly long wait, like two or three minutes.

    The following appears in the terminal window:-
        wbs
        name
        start
        finish
        work
        duration
        slack
        cost
        assigned_to
        complete
    and a blank "Unnamed - Planner" window pops up.

    Another wait of several minutes.

    Finally the Planner window get contents (i.e. menus, tiled areas,
    etc.) but an error box appears which says:-

        An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
        information for Planner. Some of your configuration settings
        may not work properly.

        Details [a button]

    If I click the details button I see:-

        Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are
        that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have
        stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
        http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
        Failed to get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket
        /tmp/dbus-dBUz4UU7e2: Connection refused)

    This repeats hundreds of times, presumably it's the cause of the
    long waits.

So, to the point, what's wrong and how do I fix it?  The X server
system has been rebooted without changing the symbptoms.  I'll go and
try rebooting the system where planner is running (i.e. the X client)
but I somehow doubt that's going to have much effect.  I'll report
back to this thread if it changes or fixes anything.

--
Chris Green