Re: Planner-list Incredibly slow startup and errors when running planner as an X client across network

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:02:29AM +0000, Chris G wrote:
[snip my tel of woe]

> So, to the point, what's wrong and how do I fix it?  The X server
> system has been rebooted without changing the symbptoms.  I'll go and
> try rebooting the system where planner is running (i.e. the X client)
> but I somehow doubt that's going to have much effect.  I'll report
> back to this thread if it changes or fixes anything.

Rebooting hasn't fixed anything.

I think I see the root of the problem though, planner (and yelp too I
suspect) are *assuming* that they're running on the X server, i.e.
they're assuming that there is an X GUI user interface available on
the system where they're running.  *WRONG* !!!!

It's maybe not planner's fault actually, I tried running yelp on the
remote (X client) system and got a load of rather similer error
messages to those I saw in the planner pop-up error:-

    (yelp:2860): Yelp-WARNING **: Cannot find dbus bus

    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
    causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or
    you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
    http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
    Failed to get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket
    /tmp/dbus-nrMIzFk9Y7: Connection refused)
    GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
    causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or
    you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See
    http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
    Failed to get connection to session: Failed to connect to socket
    /tmp/dbus-JTLaNQBBPo: Connection refused)

    (yelp:2860): Yelp-WARNING **: Failed to load config file: No such
    file or directory

    ** (yelp:2860): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name
    != NULL' failed

    ** (yelp:2860): CRITICAL **: atk_object_set_name: assertion `name
    != NULL' failed

    (yelp:2860): Yelp-WARNING **: An error occurred getting the gconf
    value /apps/yelp/use_system_fonts: Failed to contact configuration
    server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP
    networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system
    crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information.
    (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Failed to
    connect to socket /tmp/dbus-4gA9VDJgu5: Connection refused)

There isn't a 'session' to connect to, it's on another system, the X
server.

--
Chris Green