Re: [Planner Dev] Planner enhancement - use resource patch against CVS 011 20040316.

Kurt Maute wrote:

If we added a resource column to the task list and allowed resource
selection by way of a dropdown list box, it would be easy to quickly
assign resources to tasks.  This is the way that MSP does it, and though
I don't think we should necessarily emulate everything in MSP, this is
something that works well.

The resource column would be nice. It could just list/take the resource ID
or popup a resource assign dialog if entered. but... see later....

On the other hand, I like the sound of what Lincoln has been working on,
but I think I'd limit its use to assigning the same resource(s) to
multimple tasks at the same time.  In other words, if I want to select a
bunch of tasks that Joe is going to work on, then click an assign
resources button an choose Joe from the list in the popup.  Joe then
gets assigned to all of the selected tasks.

I originally wanted something like that but it was too hard for
my few weeks of GNOME programming skills to effect so fell back
to multiple pop-ups as that was easier to hook into existing code.

For a stable/usable planner v1.0 we'll just use the multiple
dialog popup which simply opens up the task dialog. Post 1.0
then refactor this into something nicer once Planner is in
all the main distros and we get other usability feedback.

BTW... I like the term 'assign' over 'use', but we could also use
'allocate' as well ... just to complicate the matter ;)

but what we are really doing is.... ,

Action ->
Edit Task Properties - Focus on General
Edit Task Properties - Focus on Resources
Edit Task Properties - Focus on Predecessors
Edit Task Properties - Focus on Notes

which is what I'll now do. What that does is open up the
multiple dialogs with the focus set to that particular
tab.

Thats a much nicer way of doing this given I'm re-using
the same dialog.

The current Edit Task properties doesn't open multiple
tasks but I'll make it do that.

Rgds,
Lincoln.