Re: [Planner Dev] Planner enhancement - use resource patch against CVS 011 20040316.

Richard Hult wrote:

Hi!

tis 2004-03-16 klockan 23.28 skrev lincoln phipps openmutual net:

Attached is the use resource patch. It adds a nice little
button plus menu actions and right-mouse task of Use Resource.

Maybe we should call it "Assign resources"?

I thought about this and ended up with the verb "Use", though
Assign is equally meaningful its a longer word :)

This simply pops up a dialog that simply has the resources
on it.

Where it helps is when you ctrl/shift-click multiple tasks.
Then it opens up one dialog per task in quick succession
(dialogs layered on top of each other).

Maybe we should make it popup no more than say 5 or 10 of those at a
time? Just to prevent a mistake where you accidentally select all and
choose this feature...

Not 5 or 10 but lots !. I've actually used it on my current 100 task
project, selected all tasks and gone through each tweaking the
resources -> close dialog, tweak resource -> close dialog etc etc.
In the past this would have taken a lot of time ! It doesn't seem to
cause any problems i.e. it doesn't hang or crash if you select
all and -> Use Resource so I'd like to leave it as it is.

You can thus quickly go through a project assigning
resources. I've always wanted this with MrProject over a
year ago and now I have it !.

Indeed useful! :)

I was thinking, what do you think about making the menu/button popup the
task dialog with the resources page active instead of using a separate
dialog?

Though it seems like adding extra code it was really to make it a
clean presentation to tweak resources so I really wanted it to
popup this 1 very focused dialog to help satisfy the project managers
responsibility of updating resource allocations.  Once a set of
project tasks is decided then the next step in project management
is the initial allocation of resources and then refactoring
these resource allocations.

The dialog is just showing the relationship between the tasks and
the resources and therefore shouldn't show the whole task (nor the
whole resource), only the things that affect the two.

So I'd like to leave this as it is.

Thanks!
Richard

Nice to be able to create what I've always wanted in this project !.

Rgds,
Lincoln.