Re: gtk-menu-popup-delay

Fact is:
- remote GTK1 apps are fast (because of core X fonts use perhaps ?),
GTK2 apps are nearly unusable. (I know I sound like a troll, sorry).

s/Fact/Crap/.  In fact I run all my gtk2 programs remotely.  Sure, drawing
large amounts of text isn't as snappy as I would have liked it to, but work
gets done.

Now gtk1 programs are unbearably slow on startup, exactly because of
fonts.  Specifically programs almost invariably end up transferring a huge
font and font info list from the display server to the program.

- ssh is the only secure proxy available in all distros.

Irrelevant.  Just tunnel your favourite compressing proxy via ssh.
(Or not, if the underlying transport is as secure as the end-points
to being with.  A VPN would fit that.)

M.