Re: gtk-menu-popup-delay

Mark Howard wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone explain why the gtk-menu-popup-delay property defaults to
255ms? I think this is one of the reasons at least that gnome appears
to be so slow to many people. I've set it to default to 0 in my local
jhbuild environment and the panel menus seem much more responsive.

Probably for usability reasons. If submenus appear immediately upon mouseover, you'll lose the currently open submenu when you accidentally moves your mouse outside the current submenu's space. MS Windows also behaves similarily, though their delay is longer than GTK's. Yet people complain more about GTK's speed than Windows's speed.