Re: gtk-menu-popup-delay

On 6/30/06, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
Also if you pop up the submenus instantly, it'll try to open/close all
the submenus when you click and move your mouse to the one you want.
This will have really ugly effects if you need to pull the mouse down
through the whole menu full of submenus (as panel menus usually are).

Why do you think this is ugly?
In my test environment, I open the panel menu and move down over each
item. The menus respond immediately opening each item as I move over
it. When I reach the item I'm interested in it opens immediately open
so I can go straight to the application I'm looking for. The submenus
don't get in the way of the current menu, so do not interrupt my
actions.

With the current 1/4s delays, some menus will popup when you're moving
through the list then  when you reach the item you have to wait 1/4s
before it opens. This feels like gnome is too slow to open the menus
so you're working too fast for your computer to keep up -- even with
something as simple as opening the menu. Such comments seem to be what
many of the users who complain about the performance are saying. They
don't know that there is an intentional delay, so really do think that
gnome is too slow to

It would be good to see how normal users would compare the current
behaviour and the panel with a delay of 0.

Mark